Saturday 2 September 2017

Can I unsubscribe now?

Day 2
You'd think that working a double shift would bring about the No Spend vibe more than ever because the restrictive hours of 8-2 then 4.30-7 basically mean staying at work from 8-7 and reading in between, and afterwards when the temptation to spend is high, oh! What's that? All the shops are now SHUT!? Because they shut at 5.30?
Bam.
Home, shower, hot drink, bed.
Heaven.

However, I remembered sometime during the day that mum had asked me the day before to bring dessert for father's day and that I had NO cake mix left. NONE. The best my brain could come up with was: 'I have five half-ripe bananas and possibly some flour, eggs, sugar, choc pineapple bites, and whatever else goes in banana cake/muffins'. And that sounded ok. Except that I didn't want to turn up to father's day with a weirdass banana cake. I wanted something chocolatey that I knew he'd like and appreciate even if it turned out gross.
So I went to the late-night IGA, and yes, the packet Chocolate Sinful Cake (or whatever) mix DID come out horrendous.
Ok, BACK UP.

~I found 10 dollars in my old uni backpack and that was JOY! I could now spend like never before! Then I crashed back down to earth with the funny sensation that I was forgetting this majorly important thing... which could have been the current no spending month I was on, but how can a girl be entirely sure when she's just won the lottery in her own workplace?
~Yay, ten dollarydoooos!
~Then.
~Shit. Dessert for ten dollars.
~And then.
~Fuck, my limit is 19.20, and I don't get that until this coming Thursday. (It's now Sunday).

So I ummed and ahhed and finally raced my hiney down to the IGA, after spending a good half of my between-shift time really wanting a chocolate bar from the vending machine and receiving strong support from my good friends. Thanks guys! And I stood in all the appropriate aisles, checked the prices and did the math and checked other prices and whined in my head over things, and just generally looked like I was about to rob the joint. The packet of cake mix had instructions on the back to make Black Forest Cake, and I thought 'THAT'S HIS FAVOURITE CAKE, OMG, YASSSSSS, I MUST DO THIS AT ONCE'.
RIP, old Cerri.
But this new Cerri also thought the same! Could it be true! Two Cerri's in total agreement? Well, better not delay the operation!
I ran around, ACUTELY aware of the time slipping by and how I still had to BAKE this  mother- which the packet said for a whole ONE HOUR, christ- and found cherries and cream and chocolate shavings and paid for it all and it all came to SEVENTEEN DOLLARS AND THIRTY-EIGHT CENTS.
17.38.
I wept way down in my heart when I paid, having come up with the idea to use the ten dollar note and some spare change in my wallet that added up to 21 something, as my this weeks 19.20.
Which meant that I now had 1.82 to last me until the end of this week.

(I still get confused about when I can actually use the 19.20 because I get paid on Thursday but the week ends on Sunday, and it would be nice to go splash my cash on Thursday instead of having to wit a few more days.)
Impatience gets things done people!
Anyway.
I baked the cake and the cake blossomed out over the too-small cake pan, falling into the bottom of the oven, looking like lava and taking up a lot of space in my camera folder, and generating good cheer all around as well as annoyance over scraping it all off and then despair at having to decorate and crumbly cake.
It was crumbly.
It was decorated.
I went to bed at midnight feeling like I should have just used the 21 something to buy a cake from the Cheesecake shop, or skipped the fancy Black Forest idea on the packing that is most likely only there to entice young innocent maidens such as myself to spend more money.

Happy Father's day!!

^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment