Tuesday 6 May 2014

Who would you invite to a magical tea party?

"Look at you," said the fairy in a gushing and admiring tone, "All grown up."
"I am," the girl said confidently.
"Oh, dear," the fairy smiled sadly, and the girl felt as if she were being mocked somehow, but it didn't fit in with the situation. "You're not grown up at all."
"But you just sai-"
The fairy gestured in fake surprise, "Yes, and look at how easily you believed what someone else had to say. You're tripping over yourself every day."
The girl put her hands on her hips and pouted, "I am not."
"Ah," there was that mocking tone again. "Just like a child."
She shook herself out of the pose quickly, took a step forward and said, "Who are you to be telling me what I am? I can be anything I choose, anything at all!"
The fairy watched the girl for a moment as she floated serenely above, like a Guardian Angel or a women who had been taken over by a condescending spirit.
"I believed what you told me, not because I thought I was wrong, but because I knew you were right!"
Again, the fairy smiled sadly, "Life is like a rubber band, little child, always stretching and shrinking and slowly wearing away..."
But the the girl stopped listening and glared around for something sharp to knock this bitch out. She found only bits of twig and drooping flowers. "Does no one paint the flowers anymore?" she asked incredulously.
"... and if you stop paying attention it will snap."
The girl looked up and saw the fairy fading. "Hey!" She yelled, "Where are you going?!"
And just like a happy memory, the fairy disappeared into the wind and left the girl clenching her hands in frustration with something rather like emptiness in her heart.


There's a blue light in his eyes, so that tonight I might see.

No comments:

Post a Comment